Basic Legal Requirements
- The patient must be a resident of Maryland and must have proof of residency
- If the patient is under the age of 18, he has to have a parent or guardian as a designated caregiver
Proof of Qualifying Conditions
- In order for a patient to obtain a written certification, the patient must be diagnosed with one of the following chronic or debilitating diseases or medical conditions that causes:
- Cachexia, anorexia or wasting syndrome;
- Severe or chronic pain;
- Severe nausea;
- Severe or persistent muscle spasms;
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); or
- Other conditions that are severe, for which other medical treatments have been ineffective, and if the symptoms “reasonably can be expected to be relieved” by the medical use of Cannabis.
Complete the Paperwork
- In order for a patient to be approved to be a part of the Medical Marijuana Program he must complete a registration form on the Commission’s website
- Once registered, a patient must then see a registered physician to obtain a written certification.